Gratitude, Gambino & Green Cards

No comments:


The 'Golden Rule' in the workplace:  How to treat your Administrative Staff

A happy Administrative Professional is an invaluable resource to any organization. Generally speaking, we're perceptive to the needs of others and work to be proactive and efficient. Sometimes it feels as if you have zero control, and yet, if something doesn't go right, you become the one to blame.  I think it takes a special type of person to work day in and day out in this role and remain happy and fulfilled.*cough* I'm not one of them *cough*. 

Here are 5 points that I believe would help make an Administrative Professional's life a little easier (or at least mine):

Build Trust

If you throw someone under the proverbial bus once, they will never forget it. You cannot work effectively with someone you don't trust- no matter what the working relationship is. Managers should also trust that we are capable.  Do not 'dumb it down.'  It's condescending, and after X amount of years in a position, they should trust that we are fully capable of completing a task successfully without having our hand held. My job is to make you look good. I have your back, so you should have mine.

Keep it Professional

Generally speaking, if you're nice to me, I'm fine with helping you with tasks that aren't necessarily in my job description.  However, keep in mind it is not in my job to make reservations at country clubs,  help you fill out your application for a passport, call about your lost dry cleaning, and I'm most definitely not a Christmas Elf that is entrusted to make sure your niece's present from Santa makes it to Minnesota on time.  Anything we're asked to do should be relevant to our companies mission. We're here to help...within reason.  Do not take advantage of my 'niceness.'

Help me Help you



We are unfortunately, not mind readers. I want to help you, I really do, but if it's not communicated with me how exactly to go about doing that, we're going to have issues.  Communication is the absolute key to reducing the internal whirlwind. Do not yell at me because all of a sudden you want your calls screened, after I've been working here over 2 years and you've never had me screen a single call for you before.  If you tell us how to help you, I can assure you, it will be done and done well.

Respect my space AND our space
This one may be a little personal for me.  My desk is a communal space.  It's open to everyone.  I'm not complaining, it's part of the job.  However, if I come to work and my drawers are open, and there are 4 snickers wrappers on my desk, and my few personal items are moved around...I am going to be cranky.  Also, there is no secret algorithm to laying things on my desk.  I think the thought process is "oh I'll pile it on her keyboard, then she'll see it" or "I'll stack it on her chair, then she'll do that first."  I assure you, it will all get done.  Just put it on my desk in a nice organized pile instead of booby trapping  my desk.  I think, in general, everyone should treat everyone else's workspaces with some kind of respect.  Additionally, we spend a lot of time at work.  Everyone should be responsible for cleaning up their own messes. Again, the Administrative Staff is always willing to help- within reason.  Do not take advantage.  We're Administrative Staff, not the cleaning crew.

Gratitude
A 'thank you' every once in a while makes a big difference.  Employees that feel appreciated are happy employees, whether they are Administrative staff or not.

As I say...."If A isn't happy, no ones happy"

What are your thoughts?  Agree?  Disagree?  Anything to add?  Let me know! 

Travel Ban (take two) 
Early next week, expect to see a revised executive order on immigration.  President Trump says this revised order will "protect our people" and appease the courts that weren't so hot on the travel ban executive order the first time around.  A major difference between the original order and the revised version is that the order will no longer impact Green Card holders.  The Trump Administration acknowledged the rushed rollout of the previous order caused some major issues in airports across the country and many, many protests.  The revised order is most likely going to be rolled out in phases.  We'll learn more specifics regarding the #redo executive order as the week progresses.


Hakuna Matata...unless Lindsey Lohan is involved...because then I'm worried.

Disney's 'The Lion King' is one of the most successful animated films AND Broadway musicals of all time.  Because of this, Disney has decided to combine the two and create a live action movie.  The internet is crazy excited about the casting choices so far.  Director Jon Favreau announced the casting choices via his twitter.  Donald Glover (aka Childish Gambino) will be cast as Simba, and James Earl Jones will be reprising his  role as Mufasa more then 20 years after the original animated film *Spoiler Alert* Mufasa dies.

Disney 'remaking' animated films into live action movies seems to be all the rage in 2017.  I mean, have you seen the trailer for 'Beauty & The Beast?!' #takemymoney. Someone thats REALLY hoping the trend continues is Lindsay Lohan.  Lohan posted a photo of herself alongside Ariel from 'The Little Mermaid' on her Instagram account with the caption '#thelittlemermaid.' According to Entertainment Weekly, Lohan's original caption read:

"I will sing again, as #ariel #thelittlemermaid [if] @Disney approve that #billcondon directs it,"

I'm thinking this isn't something I need to worry about.  She has red hair...so...I guess there is a resemblencte, however Lohan hasn't put out any music since her first (and only) album in 2004, and hasn't had a movie in the theaters since 'Scary Movie 5.'  But so help me if they ruin 'The Little Mermaid' for me...I will NOT be happy. I'm thinking this movie is best left #underthesea 


Need a 60 Second Break?
These 9 questions will help determine if you are a "Type A" or "Type B" personality.

Quote of the Day
"Gratitude is the memory of the heart" - Jean Massieu


XOXO,
A

No comments:

Post a Comment